Thursday, February 4, 2010

Learning to draw portraits- YIKES!



Just kidding, I have only been at it a week, but have had so much fun and enjoyed it so much, it's hard to believe.

I somehow stumbled upon some YouTube videos of Suzi Blu, an unconventional and completely enthralling mixed media artist. After watching a few of her art journal videos, I discovered that she has an online school, Les Petit Academy (I will list everything you might want to know at the end of this post). Well, I was hooked. I have to say, it was calling to me, I was even dreaming about it- and have also since I started. It is on my mind most of the time.

Anyway, I am at the end of a week, and have practiced the exercises for hours. I have even tucked a little 3.5 x 5" sketch book in my purse- anytime we go somewhere that I might have to wait a bit, I can practice. I really love it.

I am taking the Goddess & Poet class first; Suzi covers all of the bases in there, and we learn stylized, more realistic faces. Next I will take the Angels class; I think that builds on either the G & P or the Petit Dolls. After that, definitely the Petit Dolls; they are folk art girls and a lot of fun too, from what I can see.

I think a LOT of people wish they could draw, at least a little, and I am no exception. However, I did take the step to try and learn. I want to be less afraid of what people think of me and what I create- and just create already! lol

So, here are two faces for you to check out. The first one is alright I think, but looks a little too stern. I like the second one better, but after I finished, I realized I might have spaced her eyes a little too far apart. I don't know, I will have to wait and see how my critique goes. Chloe asked me if I wasn't going to draw any happy faces? I told her that eventually I will; but this class is about Goddesses- you know, confident, sexy women, and so they have to show that they KNOW they are cool.

If you want to learn more about mixed media fun, check out Suzi's videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/ and in the search box, type in Suzi Blu
If you like what you see and want to sign up for a class, go here:
http://suziblu.typepad.com/
You have to sign up for a class before you can log in to Les Petit Academy, which is here:
http://suziblu.ning.com/

0 comments: